A text here...
The nearest airport is Copenhagen. Malmö (Sweden) is 1 hour further away, yet worth considering for a large choice of cheap flights.
From Copenhagen, you want to travel by train to Vordingborg, and next by bus to Stege (largest town on Møn).
There are ticket machines at the train & metro stations.
Entering a bus, it is possible to purchase a ticket from the driver.
The most popular ticket solution is a rechargeable travel card (Rejsekort), which can be purchased for example in 7-eleven or other kiosks. Ticket prices with the card are significantly lower. You'll need to check-in and check-out at the train platform (before boarding & after leaving the train), and when you enter and leave the bus (inside of the bus).
Public buses cover some, but not all areas of the island, and run approx. once per hour (varies depending on the bus line and day of the week). The island is quite large (approx. 40 mins by car from tip to tip), so most distances are not walkable, and not easy to cover by bicycle. Sharing rides has been a popular way for the community members to reach event venues.
It might be possible to rent rooms with Gateway members already living on the island. Info coming soon...
Ask local community for available accommodation options.
- Lejeboliger på Møn & omegn - group dedicated to rental properties
- Møn Facebook Group - general island community group
You'll want to include 3 postal code zones in your search: 4780 (Stege area, central part of the island), 4791 (Borre - East), 4792 (Askeby - West).
For most houses, you will need a payed membership on the website to view the landlord's contact details. Some contacts are available for free.
Shelters are simple and often free sleeping spaces in nature. More details here.
There are numerous camping sites on the island, for example:
- Møn Strand Camping - Campsite on the beach in Ulvshale, bring your own tent or rent a caravan from the site
- Stege Nor Camping - Camping by the water close to Stege
- Keldby Camping - Large campsite near the Golf Course. It is possible to also rent small summer cabins on the site
- Camping Møns Klint - Camping near the cliffs at Møns Klint, it is also possible to rent basic forest cabins in the area
- Vest Møn Camping - Camping area in the centre of the Island for both tents and camper vans
It is popular to offer used items for sale in front yards. Many small, seasonal loppemarkeds are spread on the island.
Local second-hand Facebook groups are a good way to find offers in the area:
Dba.dk is the largest Danish second-hand website
Røde Kors Butik (Red Cross Charity Shop) is one of two second-hand boutiques in the center of Stege. You can find Red Cross Shops in many towns and cities in Denmark - some selling clothes, household items, books etc., some offering furniture as well.
- Helsam.dk - organic health food, household and beauty products
- Aarstiderne.com - organic food box delivery with local produce
- Rema 1000 delivery - groceries delivered from a local Rema 1000. Payment with Dankort, Credit Card or MobilePay. Note: If you have a MasterCard (rather than Visa) in MobilePay, you will need to pay through the app (not website).
A choice of important / recommended places on the island. Most of listed spots are marked on the map.
A choice of places worth visiting for a drink, snack or a meal.
- Yoga Nam Nam (Brød & Spiseri) - Eco cafe, all organic homemade food, homemade chai. Loafs of homemade sourdough bread for sale.
- David's Cafe - Fine cafe with a nice garden at the back, good food.
- MønØko - Hearty little cafe & shop by the bus station in Stege with homemade organic food.
- SlagterStig - Good vegeterian buffet for around 110 dkk, meat by choice to be added; cozy interior & pleasant garden.
- Høyers Konditor-Bager - Bakery with coffee and places to sit.
- Dat Gamle Bryghus - Restaurant / brewery, with good quality burgers & other food.
Outside of Stege:
- Hårbølle Havne Høker - Cafe and ice cream shop in Hårbølle Havn. Open only in the summer and over Christmas.
- Ulvshale Beach - long sandbeach, nice for swimming or walks
- Nyord Island - Sweet little island connected by a bridge from north of Mon. Vast landscape, nice for walks, sweet little town to walk through
- Mons Klint + Forest - Beach with massive, stunning chalk cliffs. Forest and shore invites for walking and exploring. The most well-known tourist attraction.
- Dark Sky Møn - Details on the stunning dark night sky here on the island
- Klintholm Harbour - 2 lovely beaches, harbour, restaurants, bar and fish market
- Fanefjord Forest - Beautiful forest along the south coast of the island
- Liselund - Beautiful heritage park with lake, forest, lighthouse, pathway to the beach & hotel/restaurant
Click on the map to explore, or open a large map in a new window.